Monday, September 24, 2012

So I thought I would share a little insight I recieved recently. I have really struggled with Hayden, she was REALLY fussy for a long time. We could not figure out how to help her, she cried for what seemed like all day and night for like 6 months straight. She was just not a happy baby.
So I would get so frustrated because I felt so helpless, I had no idea how to help her, and then it was a vicious cycle because then I would feel so guilty for getting so frustrated with such a helpless little baby. I tried changing my diet(since I was nursing), I tried cutting things from her diet when shes started eating solids, I tried feeing her more, I tried changing her sleep schedule, going for more walks, singing to her, reading to her, I felt like I tried everything to try and get her to be happy. Nothing worked.
Over the last 3 months I have really prayed that I would know how to really help her, because I knew this wasn't how she was suppesed to be all the time. She has such a sweet little spirit I knew she was really a happy baby I just needed to know how to help her. So one day when she was crying I felt prompted to say in a sugary sweet voice "oh my Heavens!" . This is not something I say like ever. But when I said it I smile, then shestopped crying and smiled too. It was like magic, my mood changed, I wasn't frustrated that she was crying anymore, I wanted to help her and love her. My view of her changed, she wasn't just a crying baby anymore, she was my precious little girl and she needed me to help her, and needed me to be happy. Don't get me wrong, I already loved her and I didn't get frustrated ALL the time, but I would get really overwhelmed every single day, and I didn't like feeling that way .
When she cried I used to think, ok just be quiet now, you're fine stop crying, or why are you acting like this? I know it sounds terrible, and I hate that I thought those things toward her, but when MY attitude changed, my energy towards her changed, and in turn she has changed too, she is happy. My whole family has said "she's like a differen't baby" the last several times they have seen her, and it's true she really is.
So now when she gets fussy I look and her and say to myself I love her, then I say "oh my Heavens" to her and smile because it always sounds funny to me, and then I help her happily.
I know that my Heavenly Father inspired me to do this, it's something that seems so simple, but I know that when we are willing to ask for help, and then really listen for the answer it will come in a way that is special to each of us. I'm so grateful for personal revelation, and a sweet happy baby!

2 comments:

Linsey Jackson said...

I really think this is true! Sawyer has been a fussy baby with awful acid reflux from day 1. It breaks my heart to see him be so upset so much and feel helpless like I cannot help him. It is hard to not let the frustration get in the way. I agree with you. I have noticed that if I am relaxed and happy and talk to him in a sweet voice, he reacts a lot different. :)

Stephanie said...

Thank you for sharing this with us. What a great post! I know that the Lord speaks to each of us in a different way, we just need to learn to listen. I know I struggle with that sometimes.